Saturday 6 November 2021

Prospecting the future. Job interviews

Prepare for listening: You are going to listen to a job interview. First, match the questions to the answers.

1. Have you ever had to resolve a conflict in a professional situation?

2. Can I also ask what the next steps would be in the interview process?

3. Where do you see yourself in five years’ time?

4. Do you have any questions for me, Wesley?

5. How would you resolve conflict in a management role?

6. Is a management role something that would interest you in future?


a. Absolutely. I feel my strengths are project management and working with different people.

b. I admit that I’ve not had to in a management position at work.

c. If I were offered this job, I would hope to settle here.

d. If you’re successful at this stage, you’ll be asked to attend another interview in around 2 weeks from now.

e. Ultimately, it’s important to listen.

f. Yes, can I ask what characteristics someone who is good at this role would have?

Now listen:

https://www.linguahouse.com/esl-lesson-plans/business-english/endless-job-interviews/audioplayer/endless_interviews_bremp3

Now listen to the job interview again and decide if the following statements are True or False.

1. Wesley plans to move abroad within the next five years.

2. Wesley feels he is good at working with people.

3. Wesley doesn’t have any experience of dealing with disagreements in the workplace.

4. Wesley hasn’t had any real experience of dealing with disagreements at all.

5. Wesley believes the most important thing to do in a disagreement is to speak clearly about how you feel.

6. The interviewer believes that someone who can look for new ways to solve problems would be a good candidate for the job.

7. In the interviewer’s company, there are a lot of people from different places with different experiences.

8. The interviewer asks Wesley to come back for a second interview.


Interview. Look at the typical interview questions below. Listen to the dialogue and tick the ones that you hear.

  • How would you describe yourself?
  • Could you tell me who you work for at the moment?
  • How long have you been working for ....?
  • Why do you want to work for this company?
  • Why are you leaving your job?
  • What can you offer our company?
  • You know this job requires a lot of travel. Is that a problem for you?
  • Have you had any experience in ...?
  • What are your goals for the future?
  • What is your greatest weakness?
  • How do you cope with pressure?
  • What are your salary requirements?

Key: answers these questions.

1. b 2. d 3. c 4. f 5. e 6. a

1. False. Well, my daughter is two-years old, so I’m definitely looking to stay put and create a life here for my family.

2. True. I feel my strengths are project management and working with different people.

3. True. I admit that I’ve not had to (resolve a conflict in a professional situation) in a management position at work.

4. False. I have a lot of experience in resolving conflict with teenagers.

5. False. Ultimately, it’s important to listen.

6. True. We need people who are able to look for new solutions and not just keep doing things in the same way.

7. True. We have a lot of people from a variety of different backgrounds here.

8. False. If you’re successful at this stage, you’ll be asked to attend another interview in around 2 weeks from now. (conditional)




 https://europa.eu/europass/en



No comments:

Post a Comment