LINKERS/CONNECTORS PRACTICE:
EXPRESSING CONTRAST (LINKERS OF CONTRAST)
ALTHOUGH
Although I was feeling depressed, I went to the party.
DESPITE
Despite the rain, I went to the party.
Despite feeling depressed, I went to the party.
IN SPITE OF
In spite of the rain, I went to the party.
In spite of feeling depressed, I went to the party.
EVEN IF
I will go to the party, even if I feel depressed.
WHEREAS
Adults can make their own decisions, whereas teenagers have to do what other people tell them.
HOWEVER
Mike is a very good singer. However, he can’t play any instruments.
IN CONTRAST
BUT
Their music is very good. But, their lyrics are not very interesting.
ON THE ONE HAND….. ON THE OTHER HAND
On the one hand, they are extremely rich. But on the other hand, they have lots of debts.
EXPRESSING PURPOSE (LINKERS OF PURPOSE)
We use linkers of purpose to introduce reasons:
SO (THAT)
I have brought a microphone so that the audience will be able to hear us.
IN ORDER TO
We need to register with the council in order to vote.
TO
I am phoning to ask information about the event.
SO AS TO
We all need to vote so as to express our opinions.


No comments:
Post a Comment