Monday 27 April 2020

BACH- Conditionals and Integrated skills.

Conditional Sentences are also known as Conditional Clauses or If Clauses. They are used to express that the action in the main clause (without if) can only take place if a certain condition (in the clause with if) is fulfilled. There are three types of Conditional Sentences.

Conditional Sentence Type 1

→ It is possible and also very likely that the condition will be fulfilled.
Form: if + Simple Presentwill-Future
Example: If I find her address, I’ll send her an invitation.

Conditional Sentence Type 2

→ It is possible but very unlikely, that the condition will be fulfilled.
Form: if + Simple PastConditional I (= would + Infinitive)
Example: If I found her address, I would send her an invitation.

Conditional Sentence Type 3

→ It is impossible that the condition will be fulfilled because it refers to the past.
Form: if + Past PerfectConditional II (= would + have + Past Participle)
Example: If I had found her address, I would have sent her an invitation.

Exceptions

Sometimes Conditional Sentences Type I, II and III can also be used with other tenses.

CONDITIONAL SENTENCES. GRAMMAR PRACTICE:
  1. If it rains, the boys  hockey.
  2. If he  his own vegetables, he wouldn't have to buy them.
  3. Jim  whisky distilleries if he travelled to Scotland.
  4. Would you go out more often if you  so much in the house?
  5. She wouldn't have yawned the whole day if she  late last night.
  6. If you  a minute, I'll come with you.
  7. If we arrived at 10, we  Tyler's presentation.
  8. We  John if we'd known about his problems.
  9. If they  new batteries, their camera would have worked correctly.
  10. If I could go anywhere, it  New Zealand.
  11. 1- Exercises: Rewrite the following sentences with the words given: 

    1- Take these pills three times a day and you’ll soon feel better.
          If  you
    2- I couldn’t meet him because he had moved.
          If  he
    3- I can’t live in the country because I can’t find a job there.
          If I
    4- Tell me your address. I might need it.

          Tell me your address in case

    5- Unless you study hard you won’t pass your exams.

          If you

    6- Visiting Israel won’t be possible without a visa.   

         Unless

    7- I didn’t pass because I didn’t study.

          If I

    8- Sally won’t go to Nebraska because she doesn’t have enough money.

         Provided that Sally

    9- Buy some aspirins. You might need them during your journey.

          Buy some aspirins in case

    10- They didn’t go to England because they didn’t book a room on time.

          Supposing

  12. 2- Integrated skills: Listening and Reading:



No comments:

Post a Comment