Tuesday 8 November 2022

Speaking- showing preferences

would rather, would prefer – summary chart

 
would rather, would prefer – expressing preference

 

would rather/would sooner

 

would rather/sooner + infinitive … (than)

 
We use would rather/sooner + infinitive (without to) to talk about preference. We can use it with than (+noun/infinitive) in affirmative sentences or with or in questions.

  • I‘d  rather/sooner have tea, please. 
  • I‘d  rather/sooner have tea than drink that coffee. 
  • Would you rather/sooner have tea or coffee?

 

would rather/sooner + subject + past simple

 
We can use would rather/sooner + subject + past simple to refer to the present or future.

  • We‘d rather/sooner she was/were with us now.*
  • She‘d rather/sooner I picked her up after lunch. 
  • Would you rather/sooner we went by bus or by train?

Note that we can use were instead of was with I/he/she after would rather + subject.
 

prefer

 

(would) prefer + to + infinitive … (rather than/instead of)

 
We use prefer/would prefer + noun or to + infinitive to talk about specific preference, i.e. what we prefer on a specific occasion.

  • would prefer to stay in a hotel near the airport. (or I would rather stay…)
  • Most clients prefer to have breakfast in their bedroom. 

We can use prefer/would prefer with rather than or instead of to show the choices we have.

  • would prefer to be too early rather than be too late. 
  • prefer to go with dad instead of staying here with mum. 

Note that we use rather than + infinitive without to
 

prefer + -ing verb

 
We use prefer + noun or -ing verb to talk about general preference, i.e. what we prefer in general, on every occasion.

  • I love running, but he prefers cycling

We can use prefer with to to show the choices we have. The word to is a preposition here, so if we use a verb after to, it should take the -ing form.

  • He prefers walking to cycling
Choose the correct option for each gap below.

1I prefer brown sugar  white sugar.

2I don't want to go out. I'd rather  home.

3I like trekking in the mountains, but I prefer  on a sandy beach.

4I'd rather go in December  in May.

5I'd rather come with you  here alone.

6I prefer travelling by bus  by train.

7I usually have tea, but today I'd prefer  coffee, please.

8I'd prefer to read for a while  TV.

9I'd rather you  here with me and the kids.

10She  to stay in a hotel.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment