Thursday 27 April 2017

Conditions & desires

http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/course/upper-intermediate/unit-18/session-1

Different ways of saying 'if'

'If' is a word that is often used to introduce conditional sentences. It's not the only way though. In 90 seconds Dan demonstrates five different expressions that have the same or similar meaning to 'if'.
Summary
As long as = Only if
  • As long as we go somewhere hot.
Suppose + question clause  = How about if ...Note: Use this when making a suggestion.
  • Suppose we go to America, will that be hot enough?
Unless = If ... not
  • Unless I get the time off work, I won't be able to go.
Providing/provided = IfNote: Provided is more formal than providing but has the same meaning.
  • Providing I get the time off work, I'll go.
On the condition that = If
Note: this is very formal and mostly used in writing.
  • On the condition that you pay me extra, I'll work over the holiday.


Complete the sentences without changing the meaning of the original sentences.
    
1.  The lecture was boring, so we didn’t stay.
          If the lecture ........................................................................  .
2.  I think you should accept the job.
          If I .......................................................................................  .
3.  Unfortunately, we forgot about the meeting.
          If only .................................................................................  .
4.  You must remind me or I’ll forget.
          Unless .................................................................................  .
5.  I would love to visit a rainforest one day.
          I wish ..................................................................................  .
6.  He regrets getting rid of his bike.
          He wishes ............................................................................  .

Rewrite the sentences with the words in brackets. Do not change the original meaning of the sentences.


1.   I feel terrible that I didn’t score a goal in the game yesterday. (if only)
     .................................................................................................................
2.   I woke up late, so I won’t get to school on time this morning. (if)
     .................................................................................................................
3.   It’s too bad they didn’t offer us a lift home. (I wish)
     .................................................................................................................
4.   You won’t get the best selection if you don’t go to the first day of the big sale. (unless)
     .................................................................................................................
5.   I didn’t pass my driving test because I was so nervous. (if)
     .................................................................................................................

No comments:

Post a Comment