Wednesday 30 November 2016

Grammar- Conditionals

Conditional Sentences are also known as Conditional Clauses or If Clauses. They are used to express that the action in the main clause (without if) can only take place if a certain condition (in the clause with if) is fulfilled. There are three types of Conditional Sentences.

Conditional Sentence Type 1

→ It is possible and also very likely that the condition will be fulfilled.
Form: if + Simple Presentwill-Future
Example: If I find her address, I’ll send her an invitation.

Conditional Sentence Type 2

→ It is possible but very unlikely, that the condition will be fulfilled.
Form: if + Simple PastConditional I (= would + Infinitive)
Example: If I found her address, I would send her an invitation.

Conditional Sentence Type 3

→ It is impossible that the condition will be fulfilled because it refers to the past.
Form: if + Past PerfectConditional II (= would + have + Past Participle)
Example: If I had found her address, I would have sent her an invitation.

Exceptions

Sometimes Conditional Sentences Type I, II and III can also be used with other tenses.

Exercises on Conditional Sentences

Conditional Sentence Type 1

Conditional Sentence Type 2

Conditional Sentence Type 3

Mixed Exercises on Conditional Sentences

Exceptions



https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/es/quick-grammar/conditionals-1

Conditionals



Sophie is in Iceland for work and Oliver is in a really bad mood. 
http://learnenglishteens.britishcouncil.org/grammar-vocabulary/grammar-videos/conditionals

REWRITE THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES BEGINNING WITH THE WORDS GIVEN:

1- Take these pills three times a day and you’ll soon feel better.
      If  you
2- I couldn’t meet him because he had moved.
      If  he
3- I can’t live in the country because I can’t find a job there.
      If I
4- Tell me your address. I might need it.

      Tell me your address in case

5- Unless you study hard you won’t pass your exams.

      If you

6- Visiting Israel won’t be possible without a visa.   

     Unless

7- I didn’t pass because I didn’t study.

      If I

8- Sally won’t go to Nebraska because she doesn’t have enough money.

     Provided that Sally

9- Buy some aspirins. You might need them during your journey.

      Buy some aspirins in case

10- They didn’t go to England because they didn’t book a room on time.

       Supposing


No comments:

Post a Comment