Wednesday 11 March 2015

News and language practice

If I get tired, I'll have a nap

Sue is in the family way! She is expecting a baby - it's due in November. Her friends have a lot of advice for her and husband Harry. Listen. Do you think the advice is good or bad?
Listen to the audio and complete the activity

if + will

All the advice uses the first conditional: if + will. We use the first conditional to talk about possible future situations (or 'conditions') and their results. The person giving the advice doesn't know whether or not Sue will do these things.
A conditional sentence usually has two parts: the if part and the result (main) part. For the first conditional we use the present simple in the if part, and will + infinitive (without to) in the main part.
The two parts can be in any order. When the 'if' part comes first, we put a comma between the if and the main part. We don't use a comma when the main part comes first.
If I feel tired, I'll have a nap.
I'll have a nap if I feel tired.
It isn't certain that I'll feel tired. 

Negative
If we don’t hurry, we’ll miss the train.
They won’t go to the beach if it isn’t sunny.
Question
If you get home early, what will you do?

How will he feel if he doesn’t get the job?

Download

You can download the audio here (size: 999KB).

No comments:

Post a Comment